The American Sailing Association (ASA) is the world’s foremost organization dedicated to training, teaching and certifying schools, sailing instructors and sailing enthusiasts. Virgin Island Sailing School is proud to be the only ASA certified sailing school based in the U.S. Virgin Islands, and to be members of their team of true professionals authorized to provide both the most rigorous and the best sailing instruction available.
ASA affiliated sailing schools now graduate and certify thousands of new sailors annually – sailors who learn faster, learn more and have more fun sailing in more new places. They choose ASA schools because they want to follow a proven curriculum in a professional, supportive learning environment. Philosophically, ASA and all of us at Virgin Islands Sailing School believe that sailing is safe, fun and easy to learn. It’s only complicated and intense if those teaching it choose to present it that way. We don’t.
- ASA has certified more than 423,000 sailing students.
- Over 300 professional sailing schools around the world use the ASA system.
- ASA membership represents about 85% of the viable, commercial sailing schools in the U.S.
- ASA is the standard for sailing education in the US and increasingly elsewhere in the world.
- ASA certification is recognized by major charter boat companies as well as other ASA facilities around the world.
- ASA has had a functioning, nationwide keelboat program since 1983.
- ASA is the only certifying organization which has adopted an instructor code of ethics.
- ASA has a complete, functioning 7 level keelboat program, multihull courses, small boat program plus radar, celestial, weather and docking endorsements.